Hopefully Helpful

 I am not here to give medical advice, only to share my experience.

Let me warn you — this post may contain TOO MUCH INFORMATION.

I’m going to let you know about a procedure that I had for my ridiculously heavy periods called Novasure.

As I’ve mentioned before, I had a tubal ligation when I had my C-section with Heath.  We knew that with all of our troubles with my pregnancies and births that this wasn’t something we could do again, mentally or physically.  Even when we knew that he would be born emergently, Jimmy and I agreed whole-heartedly that this was what we needed to do.

So, fast-forward a couple months and I started getting my period again.  It took a couple months but my doctor said that with the stress of losing Heath, I shouldn’t worry. I wasn’t, really.  That was the last thing that I wanted to have to start dealing with.

My first one was long.  9 days.  It could be because it was the first one.

The second was 13 days.  Not getting any better.

The third was 13 days.  Ok, this is getting absurd.

Not only was it long, it was HEAVY.  Really heavy.  During a 12 hour shift at work, I was going through 8 tampons and 5 pads.  And then add sleeping on a towel, super fun.  Like I said, ridiculous — and probably too much information.

On the way to Florida for Disney (I kinda sang that) I had had enough and I called to make an appointment with my Doctor, who I’ve mentioned before has been beyond amazing to me and to Jimmy since right before Heath was born.  She delivered him and showed so much caring and compassion when we lost him.  I got an appointment for the next week when we got back.

At my appointment, she ran some blood work, talked to me about my symptoms and she did a physical exam and an ultrasound to make sure that there wasn’t a cause (cysts, polyps, etc).  She had me come back and get my results and talk about options.

A:  Birth control pills.  Give them a try to 6 months and see if they help when it’s time to come off.  We agreed that it kinda seemed like a Band-Aid and I’m not super responsible about taking medication.
B:  Partial hysterectomy.  I was not totally opposed to this but I don’t have time to take off from work.  The typical recovery time is 4 weeks or something and I don’t have PTO for that.
C:  Uterine ablation.  I was actually looking at the pamphlet while was I waiting before my doctor brought it up.  According to their website, “this one-time five-minute procedure is designed to remove just the uterine lining—the endometrium—which is the part of your body that causes heavy bleeding. No incisions are required, leaving your uterus intact. For 9 out of 10 women, their heavy periods are dramatically reduced or stopped altogether.”  SOLD!  You’re welcome to continue to their website for more information, but that is not a substitute for good medical care.  Geez, I sound like a commercial.

In many areas, this procedure is performed in the office under mild sedation, but my office isn’t really set up for that.  Mine was performed at the outpatient surgical center.

Attach16011_20170509_080833I was checked in, gown on, IV started and then… we wait.  Someone had to be there waiting in order to take me home after, so Jimmy was restlessly patiently sitting next to me, trying to find the end of the internet — I think he was close.  He did draw me some art work to entertain me.

When it was time to go back, they gave me a little Versed (also known as the greatest drug in the world) and then I was taken back. I remember moving to the OR bed and then it was lights out.0509170910

I woke up a couple minutes (or a couple hours) later in recovery.  I was so sleepy I couldn’t keep my eyes open.  After my blood pressure was acceptable and it had been enough time, Jimmy helped me get dressed and drove me home. The handouts they gave me said I could have some bleeding and discomfort and told me what to watch out for, like a fever and such.  I had some crampiness — I don’t think that’s an actual word — but the doctor had prescribed ibuprofen, so I took that and crashed.

As of right now, it’s been about 17 hours since I got home.  I’m not having any achiness or bleeding.  I’m not telling anyone else what to do, but so far so good.  I will have to see what the coming months bring.



Submit a comment

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s